Main Objective and Mission Statement
To provide an organisation and facilities for young people to participate in theatre workshops and productions as actors or in back-stage roles, under the guidance of experienced leaders, thereby promoting their artistic, personal and social development.
In furtherance of the main objective:
- To offer membership of the club and its facilities without subscription or other financial cost to the participants and without requiring prior qualifications or experience.
- In the belief that everybody possesses an intrinsic creativity, to provide opportunities for that potential to be nurtured by engaging in the performing arts under authoritative guidance. Also to offer supervised participation in the technical aspects of theatre, including: lighting, sound, properties, special effects, wardrobe and the construction of scenery and sets.
- To provide a performing arts environment to promote the self esteem and self confidence of members and to offer them opportunities to develop their stage-craft. Furthermore, to encourage the recognition that achievement of personal aspirations needs to take account of the needs and well-being of fellow members and of the group as a whole.
- To provide safe, accessible venues and facilities for drama workshops and rehearsals and for related activities such as costuming and set construction.
- To make available venues, such as the Hampton Hill Playhouse, for both studio and major productions. The aim shall be to mount a minimum of three productions each year.
- To seek and exploit opportunities to present plays at venues both elsewhere in the United Kingdom and overseas and to undertake the management of such undertakings. (Note: In general, the costs of travel, accommodation, subsistence etc., in respect of such activities will have to be met by participating members although they may be reduced by subsidies from the club, or grants and donations from benefactors).
- To provide the physical resources to facilitate the club's activities.
- Without prejudice to YAT's independent status to maintain a mutually beneficial affiliation to Teddington Theatre Club.
- To protect the health and safety of members while they are engaged in club activities, as detailed in the YAT Health and Safety Policy, and to maintain appropriate insurance cover from specialist underwriters.
- To maintain beneficial relationships with the local community, other community-based youth projects and local government authorities.
- To seek support, both financial and in-kind from potential supporters to further the objectives of the club.